Senior Director of Communications
The hustle of a startup with the impact of a global business
Tremendous opportunity to solve some of the industry's most exciting problems
My client is an American based social search, chat and Web application.
With around 40 people in the group for Japan, and under 10 for this particular brand they have a progressive start-up culture.
- Possess at least 15 years of experience in media, corporate or agency settings in Japan
- Good business acumen, experience of working for global brands.
- Have excellent news judgement and be adept at corporate reputation and media issues management.
- Have a strong network of relationships with journalists and influencers, is able to build relationships with new contacts in Japan.
- Experience successfully managing agencies in Japan.
- Be a strategic thinker, an inspiring leader, a team player, and an excellent writer/communicator. Must be proficient in English and Japanese
- Have substantial experience dealing with senior executives and the ability to make strategic and succinct presentations to leadership
- Be deeply familiar with, and/or enthusiastically curious about youth culture, technology, innovation, and media.
- Serve as a company spokesperson
- Maintain in-person relationships and facilitate / staff media desk side tours
- Has a strong bias-to-action, adept and agile on changing course and getting things done on short time frames.
- Be a succinct communicator in a hands-on role, detailed and highly-organised.
- Bachelor's Degree in Journalism, Communications, Business, or a related field is required.
The role requires strong cross-functional interactions with the Japan team and with teams in the US. You will be a key business partner to the marketing leadership and must be an independent thinker and a self-starter with the ability for innovation and new ideas.
Of particular interest are candidates with backgrounds in the technology, entertainment or lifestyle sector and those who are used to working in a fast-paced environment that requires agility, selflessness and the ability to manage multiple things at once.
Understanding and fluency of both Japanese and English is essential for this role.
- The hustle of a start up with the impact of a global business
- Opportunity to solve some of the industry's most exciting problems
- Working with a team of smart, creative, fun and highly motivated people
- Meaningful benefits package
- Paid Vacation Time and flexible working hours