You are here
Assistant Director, Office of Accounting
- Global insurance company looking to hire Assistant Director
- Working in the Corporate Office of Accounting
About Our Client
Our client is one of the world's largest insurance organizations, providing customers with property casualty insurance, life insurance, retirement products, and other financial services as a leader in Consumer Insurance and Commercial Insurance. The Corporate Office of Accounting Policy provides interpretive accounting, disclosure, and operational guidance on a broad range of technical accounting topics to business unit personnel and financial management including debt/equity transactions, earnings per share, share-based compensation, post-retirement obligations, fixed assets, computer software, leasing transactions, segment reporting exit and termination activities, consolidation and variable interest activities, fair value and leveling of financial instruments, asset impairment, derivatives and hedging, repurchase/reverse repurchase and securities lending transactions, income taxes, foreign currency transactions, contingencies, and reporting by defined benefit pension plans, among other ad hoc requests from management.
* Partnering with the business to provide business oriented technical advice on a wide range of accounting and technical issues, on a J-GAAP and US GAAP basis
* Advising the business on key transformational projects, ensuring strong governance processes and an effective controls environment
* Review of J-GAAP and US GAAP reporting, ensuring consistent application across the Japanese businesses and promotion of best practice
* Collaboration with the business on the J-GAAP consolidation process, identifying all required disclosures and developing processes and procedures for compliance with all reporting requirements
* Establish strong governance process for the development of and compliance with J-GAAP accounting policies throughout the AIG Japan Group
* Support the business in change management programs such as the close process acceleration and Global chart of accounts project
* Development and presentation of a comprehensive suite of training materials on relevant accounting issues both in classroom and online media formats
* Review and comment on local regulatory reporting requirements for the local regulators
* Quality control review of local financial statements produced in Japan prior to their submission to auditors; preparation of Board materials to explain the financial results
* Development and management of key internal and external relationships in Japan and globally within AIG
The Successful Applicant
- Qualified accountant with an in-depth knowledge of J-GAAP and US GAAP probably gained through the technical department in a large accounting firm.
- Knowledge of IFRS, although not a requirement for the role, would be a distinct advantage.
- Extensive experience of working in the insurance industry and, in particular, a detailed knowledge of general insurance accounting and regulatory requirements in Japan, is a pre-requisite.
- Experience of life insurance will be a considerable advantage
- Excellent English communications skills, both written and oral, are essential with the ability to explain concisely and clearly sometimes difficult concepts. Fluent Japanese language ability is a pre-requisite.
- Demonstrable experience in managing multi-functional, multi-geographical teams and delivering high quality results within tight timeframes
- Advanced interpersonal skills with the ability to influence at all levels of management and establish strong working relationships across diverse groups
- A working knowledge of actuarial processes would be a distinct advantage
What's on Offer
● Gain experience in a fast-growing and dynamic environment.
● Build and cultivate new relationships in Finance